Celebration is Life's Frosting!

Celebration is Life's Frosting!

Saturday, June 4, 2011

It's Picnic Time

I am really starting to love making shaped cakes.
Last week, I created a hot dog cake and a hamburger cake.
They actually were not hard to make,
but the effect is amazing.

You would not believe the wow's you get by bringing these to a picnic.
 To make the hot dog,
Just bake your normal cake recipe in a loaf shaped pan.
Once cooled, cut the middle for the "hot dog."
My hot dog is a mixture of fondant and gum paste with yellow and brown color added.
I rolled it by hand.   
I was wearing gloves and the gloves gave it just the right texture of a cooked hot dog
The "fries" are pieces of the cake that I cut out of the middle of the loaf cake.
I then just cut them in the right shape of fries.
Tinted fondant the shade of the roll.
We like Potato rolls in my house.
Covered the cake.
Added the hot dog.
The condiments are just pieces of fondant and the ketchup is just red icing/piping gel.


The hamburger was just as easy and fun to make.
Bake 3 round cakes of the same size and one smaller one for the top of the bun.
Level all of your cakes except the smaller round.
Cover your bottom bun in colored fondant.
Cover your "burger" layer in black or chocolate fondant.
I added lines on the side of my burger for effect.
Then stack this on top of your bottom bun.
I then rolled out some green fondant very thin for my lettuce   Do not cut the ends straight as lettuce should not have a straight cut.   
Roll orange/red fondant out thicker (depending on how you slice your tomatoes).  
Then add your onions, mayo, lettuce, and what ever else you like on your burgers.
Viola!

Life is short
Eat Dessert First!

No comments:

Post a Comment