Celebration is Life's Frosting!

Celebration is Life's Frosting!

Friday, June 10, 2011

A Day at the Beach!

I was asked to make a cake for a 13 year old girl who is having a luau themed birthday party.   Originally I was thinking about making a Flip Flop Cake, but then the idea came to do something more tropical.    Nothing says tropical like Palm Trees!

To make my Palm Tree, I rolled out a mixture of gum paste and green fondant.   Using a leaf cutter, I created enough for 6 leaves per tree with extras just in case:)    Then I used a vein tool to create the cuts for each leaf.  Finally, I shaped them as leaves are not just lying limp on the tree.   Finally, I gave them some drying time.

After a few days of drying it was time to create the actual tree.  I used pirouette wafers for the actual tree and attached the leaves layering them to make it look like a Palm Tree.   I think next time, I might make the tree out of gum paste, although I do like the way it came out.   The wafers take less time and still look good.

Now onto the cake!
I baked a 2-layer 8 inch round
and
a 2-layer 4 inch rounds.

The bottom layer became my ocean covered in crusting buttercream  dusted in luster dust and accented with chocolate shells.  

The top layer is surrounded my more pirouette wafers for a bamboo look.  Then I accented it with fondant flowers.   Sand is a mixture of brown sugar and crushed vanilla wafer cookies.
I am happy with the way it it came out.
What do you think?

Life is short
Eat dessert first!

No comments:

Post a Comment