Celebration is Life's Frosting!

Celebration is Life's Frosting!

Friday, October 14, 2011

Fall Leaves and Apples

The bushel basket is made from three layers of a four inch vanilla cake.   I carved the cake slightly to shape more like a basket.   Then covered it in white fondant which I then "painted" with a mixture of food gel coloring and alcohol.    Then I wrapped brown fondant around the sides for the bushel basket effect.

 The apples (I know they look don't look red in the picture, but they were red in real life) were shaped RKT covered in red fondant.   Then I shaped some more.   For the stem, I made a whole in the top with my paintbrush and cut a piece of a tootsie roll to create it.    To make them look a little more realistic, I brushed on some Luster Dust.

If you want people to be able to actually eat the apples, you need to make them the day of the event.   These apples did not make it through the party and everyone was amazed that they could eat them.

The bushel basket was placed on a 12 inch cake filled with chocolate chip buttercream filling.   I used the grass tip for the grass effect around the basket.   The leaves are rolled fondant, cut with small leaf cookie cutters.   Then I added some dimension with my veining tool and then dusted them with several colors of luster dust.   It took me some time to decide on what to do on the sides of the cake,   I went with the brown basket weave buttrcream technique and like the way it came out.   If there is one thing about basket weave, it is true that the more you do it the easier it gets!

Thanks for stopping by!

Life is short, Eat Dessert First!!

No comments:

Post a Comment